What is it? This is the brief description of what Bar Shield does according to their site: “Convenient and Effective. All-in-one barbell maintenance kit designed to increase the longevity and function of your equipment. Help Prevent Rust. Restore Spin to Your Barbell. Protect Your Investment.” The box you receive includes:
- (1) 8 oz. bottle of Bar Shield Anti-Oxidant/Anti-Wear Formula
- Biodegradable and Safe: No harm to people, animals, or the environment.
- Odorless: No chemical smell, as we have cut out all of the extra additives.
- Quick: Apply the formula to your barbell and be workout ready in a matter of minutes.
- (1) Custom Branded Wooden Brush with Nylon Bristles
- Controlled strength: Coarse enough to remove grime, but gentle enough to preserve your finish.
- Warrior spirit: Fire branded with the lambda symbol from the shields of the ancient Spartans.
- (3) Microfiber Towels
- Lint-free: Will not leave fuzz behind on your barbell.
- Washable: Reuse your towels to lighten the load on our environment.
What do I think? I got my very own barbell as a Christmas gift from my wife a year and a half ago. In that time, there has been some gradual wear and tear. I keep my barbell separate from the “general population” so-to-speak of the other barbells and I never pull the weights off or drop it without bumpers on it. Despite all those precautions and due to a crazy amount of humidity in the midwest, my bar had lost a little luster. This product kit from Bar Shield worked awesome. I was able to brush away the oxidation build up from use/humidity. I also used the oil as instructed to lubricate the ball bearing in the bar and it did restore the spin and performance of the bar. Great product that you can use for a long time and does what it says it does.
Why do you need it and when should you use it? If you have any barbells that need cleaned up or if you need to restore the spin to some of your equipment, Bar Shield will get the job done. My barbell looks and acts like a new one after using this product.